AC Literary Expedition
exploring ideas together
AC Literary Expedition is a new initiative by Apologetics Canada to bring people together virtually to explore ideas in their historical context.
There is the cultural narrative that would have us believe Christianity has been oppressive to the development of science. That narrative goes something like this: after the fall of Rome, the Dark Ages set in. It was an era marked by religious fanaticism and faith oppressing knowledge. Remember Galileo Galilei? Remember Giordano Bruno? It wasn't until the Renaissance that science could break free from the shackles of Christianity and move humanity forward...
...except most professional historians of science reject this narrative.
As it turns out, the relationship between Christianity and science is a lot more complex than what we have come to believe in post-Enlightenment West. On this expedition, you will find that the Dark Ages weren't so dark after all, and Christianity has made important contributions in the development of science.
Join us on November 7th, for our next AC Literary Expedition as we examine the story of Christianity and science. Take in the reading and audiovisual material below and join us online for a time of discussion. You can participate by speaking up or simply by observing.
Dates, Times & Articles
Sunday, November 7, 2021 | 4-6 PM PT
- The Light Ages: The Surprising Story of Medieval Science by Seb Falk OR The Soul of Science: Christian Faith and Natural Philosophy by Nancy R. Pearcey and Charles B. Thaxton
- Yes, There is a War Between Science and Religion by Jerry Coyne for The Conversation
- "The Dark Ages" - Popery, Periodisation, and Pejoratives from History for Atheists by Tim O'Neill
- Gallileo Goes to Jail and Other Myths about Science and Religion edited by Ronald L. Numbers
- Conflict Thesis from Wikipedia.org
- Humanist Manifesto II from the American Humanist Association
- Science and the Mind of the Maker: What the Conversation Between Faith and Science Reveals about God by Melissa Cain Travis
- Faith and Wisdom in Science by Tom McLeish
- Dominion: How the Christian Revolution Remade the World by Tom Holland (See ch. 16 & 18)
- How the West Won: The Neglected Story of the Triumph of Modernity by Rodney Stark
- The Great Myths from History for Atheists
Sign Me Up!
Christianity and Science: Exploring How Their Story Began
Sunday, November 7, 2021 | 4-6 PM PT / 7-8 PM ET
Religion Vs Science: Can The Two Coexist? | Neil deGrasse Tyson
Is Christianity Anti-Science?